Antioxidants are substances that inhibit oxidation, thereby preventing and repairing damage to the body’s tissues [the damage that causes ageing]. Oxidation is the process that makes metal rust and occurs when free radicals start causing trouble.
But what are free radicals?
Free radicals are unstable molecules that start the oxidation process — the process that causes damage to body tissue and leads to cell dysfunction. They are a major contributor to all visible signs of ageing on the skin, from age spots and fine lines to sagging and wrinkles.
So why are antioxidants important?
Antioxidants help reduce signs of ageing and calm inflamed skin while tightening and toning the complexion. To improve the skin’s overall health, it is important to properly incorporate antioxidants into your diet and skincare routine.
Look for skincare ingredients Vitamins B3, E as well as Green Tea. These help fortify cells against damaging free radicals while encouraging cell and tissue growth for renewing and repairing the complexion. Vitamins B3 and E are best known for their ability to protect against sun damage and help boost existing sunblock while aiding in improving skin tone, texture, and discolouration. Flavonoids in Green Tea Extracts help improve skin tone and texture and prevent inflammation.
What antioxidants do for YOU:
- Anti-inflammatory properties help increase circulation and cell metabolism. Alpha Lipoic Acid, found in pine bark and green tea, is especially well-known for its ability to help even skin tone and keep acne and wrinkles at bay.
- By helping promote cell turnover, antioxidants are ideal for those suffering from hyperpigmentation [age or sun spots] and scarring and those who seek to improve overall skin tone and texture. Products featuring Snow Mushroom as an active ingredient are also highly recommended because they help even out and brighten the complexion for a more youthful, radiant glow [see The Essence, which includes Snow Mushroom as one of its key botanicals].
- Skin-firming abilities not only help slow visible signs of ageing like wrinkles and sagging but also improve the skin’s overall health.
- The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles are reduced. Keep in mind that no product can “get rid” of wrinkles, but here’s where antioxidant-rich creams and serums come into play. Ingredients like Niacinamide [Vitamin B3] and E help restore hydration and therefore plump the skin, leaving the complexion lifted, toned, and more youthful-looking.
- Protecting against sun damage is what antioxidants are most well-known for. They help stimulate blood flow, thereby encouraging cell growth, and also work to boost your sun protection.
The Essence [Active Concentrate] contains Green Tea Extract and Snow Mushroom [in addition to host of other potent anti-ageing ingredients!]